Cash and other prizes will be awarded, including a $1,000 Grand Prize for the winning submission. A special medical student award may be included for the best submission by this group.
General Information and Eligibility
The Scholarship and Research Committee of the ICS-US Section invites medical students, fellows, and residents in general surgery and all surgical specialties (including anesthesiology, pathology and radiology) to submit an original clinical research paper with pertinent clinical application for this competition.
How to Enter...
- Go to the electronic submission form (link located below)
- Complete all required information including the financial relationship(s) disclosure
- Upload a PDF of your certified application
- Submit by December 2, 2013
Before Friday, February 28, 2014 you must also submit:
- A copy of the original clinical research paper as a PDF via e-mail attachment to: email@example.com. Manuscripts will be submitted to the judges for blind review. Please do not include your name or other identification within the paper.
Applicant Rules and Submission Guidelines
The submitting authors of the top reviewed papers will be required to present their research at our Annual Surgical Update, June 11-14, 2014, in Memphis, Tennessee where winners will be selected. Lodging, travel arrangements and any expenses are the responsibility of the submitting authors. Submissions accepted that qualify for live presentation are expected to register for the meeting and pay appropriate fees in advance.
- All applications/submissions must be based on new/original research that has not been previously submitted or presented in other competitions.
- All presentations MUST be given by the submitting applicant.
- The deadline for application to the competition is Monday December 2, 2013.
- If needed, applicants have until Friday, February 28, 2014 to submit their final papers. However, this manuscript submission deadline only applies to applications that met the initial December 2nd deadline, there will be no applications accepted after December 2, 2013.
Judging and Award Distribution
Papers will first be judged and scored by the members of the ICS-US Section Scholarship Committee prior to the Annual Meeting to select the top candidates for presentation.
- The top written presentations will be selected for participation in the on-site/final judging.
- There are a limited number of speaking slots; applicants are not guaranteed an oral presentation at the meeting.
- An additional panel of judges will be assembled at the conference to score the oral presentations.
- Scores from both panels will be totaled and the winners selected from the top presentations.
- Winners will be announced at the conclusion of the meeting.
Contact Maggie Kearney at 312-787-1662 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org